Friday, March 19, 2010

Today's Deep Thought

Today I present a recently-remembered conversation that occurred at a local independent comic book store where I purchased some of the Y: The Last Man volumes. In case you aren't a geek, this particular graphic novel is, as I've written before, a speculation on what the world would look like if all of the human beings who had a Y chromosome simultaneously died. Oh, except for one. A story has to have a protagonist after all, and wherever would one find a protagonist in a world full of only XX-chromosomed beings?!

Anyway, as I purchased these books, the employee dude first asked me if I was purchasing the books for myself or "for someone else." I'm not sure that's a question he asks male customers, but that's beside the point. The point is that when I said that I was indeed purchasing them for myself, this is what he said:

"Yeah, I read this comic book too and it really surprised me, how interesting it was. When I first heard of the premise, you're like, 'what could possibly be interesting about that?'"

Sweet.

As I paid, I was confronted once again with the unfortunate reality that even "creative" and "geeky" types remain entrapped within an uninspired worldview wherein they cannot, on their own, imagine being interested in a world inhabited by only 1 man and billions of women.

If ignorance is bliss, I submit that we've just discovered why Men Are So Much Happier Than Women Ever Since Feminism Happened!

No comments: