Monday, September 15, 2014

Quote of the Day

Ha ha, classic.  "As a Father of Daughters, I Think We Should Treat All Women Like My Daughters," via The Toast:

"Listen, as a father of daughters, I’m really against this kind of behavior, this kind of treatment of women. The kind where they get hurt or they can’t vote or we don’t give any money to them. You know the kind I’m talking about. The kind I don’t want my daughters to experience, and then I just sort of extrapolate out from there. 
It didn’t always used to be this way. I used to only have sons. Things sure were different then. How merrily I used to drive down country lanes in my old Ford, periodically dodging off-road to mow down female pedestrians (you must remember I had no daughters then). Was what I did wrong? How was I to know? I had no daughters to think of."
And, the title of the captures this mentality perfectly.  The real people men like this refer to are other men - the "we" in the title who have to be instructed on how to treat women-people.  Meanwhile, the man making the utterance remains self-absorbed, thinking that what's best for the women-people he cares about is surely best for all women everywhere.

No comments: