Friday, December 22, 2017

Quote of the Day - Hard Times Are Coming

I've been on an Ursula LeGuin kick lately.

This one's via her latest collection of essays, Words Are My Matter:
"Hard times are coming, when we'll be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine real grounds for hope. We'll need writers who can remember freedom - poets, visionaries - realists of a larger reality."
She wrote those particular words in 2014. Prophetic.


(If you're curious, I liked Words Are My Matter, on the whole. In it, she includes many of her previous reviews of other works of science fiction. She is a generous reviewer. I also wish she would have included more of her reviews of books written by women. She had a lot of praise to give to male writers, and I think they get a lot of that elsewhere that women don't).

No comments: